Nursing - Fundamentals & Skills
This program demonstrates and describes the process for performing a urethral catheterization. Both intermittent straight catheters and indwelling retention catheters and shown and discussed. The need for patient education and patient support during catheterization is emphasized. The techniques for performing catheter care and removal of a catheter are also shown and discussed.
Objectives; After completing this course, the learner should be able to:
- Differentiate between straight catheters and retention catheters.
- Describe the use of straight catheters and retention catheters.
- Demonstrate the insertion of a urinary catheter.
- List infection control measures taken when inserting a urinary catheter.
- Describe techniques for caring for a urinary catheter.
- Describe the technique for obtaining a urine specimen from a urinary catheter.
- Demonstrate the procedure for removal of a catheter.
- Describe information that should be documented when inserting and removing a urinary catheter.