Nursing - Critical & Intensive Care
Optimal tube management can have a direct impact on patient comfort and outcomes and can present numerous challenges for the healthcare provider. This program reviews indications for gastrostomy and jejunostomy, placement procedures, basic nursing management of tubes and complications, and key points for patient/caregiver teaching. The program also contains a demonstration of stabilizing a tube with a device and changing a gastrostomy and low profile tube.
After completing this activity, the participant should be able to:
- list two reasons a feeding tube might be required.
- identify three placement techniques for gastrostomy and jejunostomy tubes.
- describe routine skin care for a gastrostomy tube.
- describe two ways to stabilize a tube.
- identify the correct procedure for changing a low profile tube.
- discuss key points to cover in teaching a patient with a long-term gastrostomy tube.