- Invaluable for those who prescribe antimicrobial agents or are responsible for antimicrobial use, this guide
- contains the rationale for developing proper infrastructure to efficiently manage the use of antimicrobials through an effective Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- demonstrates the consequences of inappropriate initial therapy for serious infections
- focuses on programmatic approaches to ensure appropriate antimicrobial use via Stewardship Programs
- presents the role of the Infection Control Department in managing antimicrobial- resistant organisms and infections
- discusses programs that can lead to efficiency in terms of the length of hospital stay by providing alternative treatment venues such as home parenteral antimicrobial therapy, as well as ensuring the best use of oral antimicrobials
- provides a practical discussion of the use and optimization of an emerging group of antimicrobials: the antifungal agentsAudience
Designed to provoke discussion regarding both contemporary and tested concepts and strategies for the treatment of infectious diseases, this book compiles chapters on topics ranging from the economics of drug-resistant infections and the management of antimicrobial use to new information on methods to optimize the selection, route of administration, dosing, and duration of antimicrobial therapies for common infections. In addition to offering ideas on studied programmatic approaches for judicious utilization of antimicrobial agents, this reference discusses practical means to track intervention outcomes through benchmarking.