Engineering - Material Science & Metallurgy
- Presents thorough coverage of the major surface analytical and electrochemical techniques, illustrated by examples
- Devotes an entire chapter to electrochemical instrumentation
- Describes the evaluation of mechanical properties of surface films by nanoindentation and nanoscratching
- Covers traditional dc techniques, well-established ac techniques, and newer techniques such as electrochemical noise analysis
- Includes local techniques such as scanning electrode, Kelvin probe, and various micro-electrochemical techniques
Damage from corrosion costs billions of dollars per year. Controlling corrosion requires a fundamental, in-depth understanding of the mechanisms and phenomena involved, and this understanding is best achieved through advanced analytical methods. The first book to treat both surface analytical and electrochemical techniques in a single reference, Analytical Methods in Corrosion Science and Engineering equips you with hands-on tools for solving corrosion problems and improving corrosion resistance.
The book begins with the major surface analytical techniques, their principles, instrumentation, and the exact nature of the information derived from their measurements. The editors devote individual chapters to electron spectroscopy, ion analytical methods, nanoprobes, synchrotron methods, infrared spectroscopy, and glow discharge optical emission spectroscopy followed by recent developments in the application of radiotracer methods, nanoscratching, and nanoindentation. Coverage then moves to electrochemical techniques, beginning with an introduction to electrochemical instrumentation that reveals the requirements for accurate and meaningful measurements as well as potential errors and how to avoid them. The authors provide a thorough background of each technique and illustrate its use for a variety of corrosion systems, in many cases using examples of practical industrial applications.
Contributed by a team of prominent experts from major universities and national research laboratories around the world, Analytical Methods in Corrosion Science and Engineering is the most comprehensive guide available for investigating surface corrosion.