- Unlike any other source on the subject, this handbook
- gives a broad overview of currently available treatment methods and their advantages/disadvantages in regards to ACD
- offers a critical discussion of well-established and emerging diagnostic tests in ACD diagnosis
- studies the role of new regulator molecules in ACD
- provides a timely overview of relevant information on iron metabolism, the function of erythropoietin, and the immunopathology of inflammation
- surveys controversies in ACD therapy
This book summarizes the most current research on the anemia of chronic disease and identifies effective diagnostic strategies for this common clinical condition-covering key topics related to the design and selection of therapeutic options including the treatment of the underlying disease, the biology of erythropoietin and the regulation of erythropoiesis, the disturbance of iron homeostasis, and the complex nature of the systemic inflammatory response.