With a concise and easy-to-read approach, the new edition of this book integrates the essential concepts of respiratory physiology with the clinical application of mechanical ventilation. Extensive coverage of airway management and weaning criteria, and a concise view of pharmacotherapy for mechanical ventilation are included. Each chapter features visual examples illustrating concepts, key points summarized in margin references, and assessment questions written in NRBC format, to help prepare learners to sit for the exam. Fifteen case studies enable learners to apply theoretical knowledge to real-world critical thinking situations they may face in the field.
- Case studies and examples provided to facilitate understanding of concepts and critical thinking
- Key points are highlighted in the margin to allow the reader to focus on essential concepts
- Challenging questions in all areas focus on patient assessment and care
- New chapter on Special Procedures in Mechanical Ventilation
- New material on chest tubes and chest tube placement, proportional pressure support, airway management, hemodynamic monitoring
- Revised chapter on ventilator waveform analysis, with new graphics and illustrations
- Answer keys provided for assessment questions, for self paced study and review