|The Language of Medicine|
Davi-Ellen Chabner, BA, MAT, Newton Centre, MA
Imprint: W.B. Saunders
Allied Health - Dictionaries & Terminology|
The market-leader in medical terminology, Chabner's popular, proven The Language of Medicine brings medical language to life and helps you develop the understanding to communicate fluently in the healthcare setting. Terms and complex medical processes are accessible and easy to understand at all learning levels with an approach that explains terms in the context of anatomy and physiology, as well as how the body works in health and disease. Organized by body system, this combined text/workbook details additional key areas of health care, such as cancer and psychiatry, and is accompanied by full-color illustrations, exercises, and unique supplemental resources that reinforce your comprehension and help you establish the practical foundation for a successful career in healthcare.
Clear, straightforward approach makes content easy to understand without any previous medical or scientific background.
Text/workbook combination facilitates valuable independent study opportunities through labeling exercises, pronunciation tests, and review sheets.
Practical case studies, vignettes, and exercises familiarize you with real-life applications of terminology.
Full-color images reinforce anatomical and pathophysiological terms.
Pronunciation of Terms list at the end of each chapter breaks down terms phonetically to help you master proper pronunciations.
New to This Edition
Medical report exercises in each chapter utilize chart notes, histories, and reports to give you practice working with realistic documents.
Additional pathology photos clarify terminology and help you identify medical conditions you may encounter in practice.
Updated content reflects the latest advances in digestive system operative procedures, the human genome project, normal values for tests in practical applications, and muscle function.
The companion CD tests your ability to identify terms by their pronunciation and provides a fun, engaging way to review terms through games, study tips, photographs, video clips, and animations.
A companion Evolve website enables you to assess your understanding with quizzes for each chapter that provide immediate feedback to help you identify specific areas for review.
Table of Contents
||The Language of Medicine, Medical Terminology Online (User Guide, Access Code and Textbook Package), 8th Edition|
Status Out of Print|
Copyright Year 2007
Medical Terminology Online offers a wide range of auditory, visual, and interactive elements designed to reinforce concepts presented in Chabner's The Language of Medicine, 8th Edition. Organized by body system to correspond with the textbook, it actively involves students in the learning process and strengthens their understanding of the material using a variety of engaging exercises and activities. The program's media-rich online environment demonstrates the practical applications of medical language with video clips, animations, and slide shows with audio narration.
- Course management software available in WebCT, Blackboard, or Evolve that provides the platform for deploying online features such as real-time chat, calendar, e-mail connections, bulletin board, grade book, and instructor syllabus.
- Interactive exercises such as word building, spelling, pronunciation, matching, labeling, multiple choice, case studies, and more.
- Over 650 disease and disorder illustrations, over 450 anatomical illustrations, and many new drawings and graphics on each screen.
- Over 50 animations and slide shows with audio narration demonstrate physiologic processes.
- Helpful icons alert users to unique elements within the program, such as Factoids, Discussion Board, and Learning Links.
- Hypertext links direct users to related areas and to other resources for further study.
- Bold and hyperlinked terms within the text connect students to definitions and audio pronunciations.
- A glossary link on each screen provides access to the glossary from anywhere in the program for quick reference.
- Includes an extensive glossary of over 5,000 terms in both English and Spanish, including definitions, listed in alphabetical order. Student can click on a term and hear it pronounced correctly.
- Students can evaluate their mastery of module content by completing the Self-Mastery Quiz at the end of each module before taking the Self-Mastery Exam. The exam is automatically scored and reported to instructor.
New to this Edition
- New design based on the new book design enhances the program's overall interface.
- New terms and abbreviations reflecting advances in technology and changes in health care delivery are included to reflect this new material in the text.
- More medical records activities familiarize students with report formats by requiring them to locate answers to questions in mock medical reports.
- A new tutoring feature in self-assessment quizzes prompts students to review relevant content and then try again to answer a question when it is answered incorrectly.
- New exercises and games engage students and hold their interest in the lessons.
- New animations, video clips, and rollovers demonstrate more processes and procedures, including rollovers that clarify anatomy illustrations by prompting a box to open with a short text explanation of that portion of the illustration.
Table of Contents
- Medical Language Instant Translator, 4th Edition
- The Language of Medicine, 9th Edition
- The Language of Medicine, Text and iTerms Audio (User Guide and Access Code) Package, 9th Edition
- The Language of Medicine, Medical Terminology Online (User Guide, Access Code and Textbook Package), 9th Edition
- The Language of Medicine, Medical Terminology Online (User Guide, Access Code, Textbook and iTerms Package), 9th Edition
- The Language of Medicine + Users Guide = Access Code + Mosby's Dictionary 8th Ed